Western Force's battle to remain in Super Rugby appears to be over after the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) announced a resolution to discontinue the franchise's licence.
Either Force or Melbourne Rebels have been set to make way following the decision by South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina Rugby (SANZAAR) to reduce Super Rugby from 18 teams to 15 in a bid to cut costs and safeguard the viability of the competition.
South Africa's Cheetahs and Southern Kings have already been sacrificed, but the ARU's initial projected timeframe, announced in April, of between 48 and 72 hours for a decision to be made has proven to be wildly inaccurate.
It finally appeared likely that Rebels would survive when an arbitration process began late last month between the ARU and Force, as the governing body sought to discontinue the Perth-based team's participation.
And ARU chairman Cameron Clyne said in a statement on Friday: "The ARU board has today made the decision to discontinue the Western Force as the Super Rugby competition reverts to 15 teams for the 2018 season.
"This has been a complex process to reduce Australia's Super Rugby representation to four teams as agreed by SANZAAR following its review of the competition.
"We are regretful that this issue has consumed so much of the public commentary on the game in 2017. It was clearly not our intention for this to play out over such a lengthy period however there have been factors outside the ARU's control that have prevented us from completing the process."
Western Australian billionaire Andrew Forrest, the former chief executive of a major iron ore producer, publicly pledged his support to Force after the team, who finished second in Super Rugby's Australian conference in 2017, defeated Waratahs 40-11 at home in their final match of the season.
But that backing appears unlikely to spare the franchise.
Clyne's statement continued: "Our decision to exit the Western Force has been guided primarily by financial outcomes.
"As we have reinforced throughout this process, there are commercial realities which are linked to declining on-field performance across our Super Rugby teams which has put Australian rugby in a position where it can no longer sustain five teams.
"Furthermore, the significant unbudgeted support funding that has been provided to Super Rugby teams over the past five years has greatly affected our capacity to invest in community rugby.
"This is a sad day for rugby, especially for Western Force fans. We accept that there will be anger and resentment over this decision and we sympathise with those fans. We sincerely hope that they are not lost to the game forever.
"The decision to exit the Western Force from Super Rugby is not a decision to abandon the game in Western Australia.
"Western Australia will retain an important place in Australian rugby and the ARU will continue to support youth development programs and the community game in the west. There will be a clear pathway for young Western Australian rugby players to reach the highest level and represent the Wallabies.
"Our immediate concern is to support the individuals at the Western Force through these difficult circumstances and we will deploy various ARU management staff to Western Australia to provide assistance to all players and staff."
|Spurs star Kane an obvious target for Real Madrid – Redknapp|
|I´m done - Gatland quits British and Irish Lions|
|Bosz and Dortmund eyeing much-needed victory as Schmelzer returns|
|Tiger Woods cleared to resume golf activities with no restrictions|
|Szczesny: I didn´t improve at Arsenal due to tactical gulf|
|Spurs coach Popovich calls Trump a ´soulless coward´|
|Bowman signs one-year deal with Raiders|
|Girardi says Yankees star Judge isn´t getting calls ´because he´s so tall´|
|Baldwin feared he could lose hand after lion bite|
|Pochettino wants ´10 or 15 years´ at Tottenham|
|Shakespeare hails Mahrez response after ´kick up the backside´|
|Packers QB Aaron Rodgers to undergo surgery on broken collarbone|
|NBA Eastern Conference Preview: Can Celtics´ bold moves unseat Cavs?|
|NBA Western Conference Preview: Everyone´s looking up at the Warriors|
|NBA Preview: Five rookies to watch in 2017|
|Cornet breezes past home hope Makarova in Moscow|
|Leicester City 1 West Brom 1: Mahrez cancels out Chadli magic|
|Hamsik not worried by Maradona record ahead of Man City clash|
|Joshua to fight Takam after Pulev pulls out injured|
|History for Babar as Pakistan see off Sri Lanka|
|Man City better than Real Madrid? Sarri daunted by Napoli´s Etihad assignment|
|Donaldson downed in Antwerp, Sela sees off Coric|
|Ashley puts Newcastle United put up for sale|
|Lovren accuses ´nervous´ Lukaku of deliberate kick during Manchester United draw|
|One small step for Ox... Klopp praise for under-fire midfielder|
|Klopp denies Liverpool have lost confidence|
|Manchester ready for goal rush as Spurs visit fortress Bernabeu - Champions League in Opta numbers|
|Packers are not done, but must be different with Hundley at helm|
|Police renew appeal for Stokes witnesses|
|Tottenham one of Europe´s best, claims Riedle|
|Watch: Barcelona mark Messi debut with footage of La Masia magic|
|Ronaldo has to win Ballon d´Or, says Isco|
|Guardiola not falling for De Laurentiis´ Napoli script change|
|Rhys Webb out in the cold as Wales scrap ´Gatland´s Law´|
|Button: I wasn´t to Hamilton´s taste as McLaren team-mate|
|Guardiola´s ´genius´ inspiring Sterling at Manchester City|
|He is a complete forward – Zidane an admirer of Kane|
|Bale could miss both Tottenham games, concedes Zidane|
|Wilder: Joshua doesn´t sound too confident|
|Guardiola takes pressure off De Bruyne amid Messi comparisons|
|Sarfraz: Sri Lanka should not have issue over Lahore T20|
|Napoli should rest stars against Manchester City - De Laurentiis|
|Switzerland, Italy, Croatia & Denmark seeded for World Cup play-offs|
|Kessler comeback delayed by Lyme disease|
|Kane takes Real Madrid interest ´very naturally´, says Pochettino|
|Packers coach McCarthy quiets free agent QB talk after Rodgers injury|
|Chelsea struggling to fight on several fronts, Conte concedes|
|Jiangsu Suning confident Capello not Italy-bound|
|Mo´unga called into All Blacks squad for Bledisloe Cup rubber|
|Dodgers take 2-0 NLCS lead over Cubs after walk-off win|
|High-profile injuries continue as Rodgers hurts collarbone|
|Pochettino: Madrid are not the Ronaldo team|
|Boateng considered Bayern exit|
|Nonsense! Critics won´t force Postecoglou out says Socceroos great Moore|
|MLS Review: Sounders, Timbers book play-off spots|
|Kaepernick files collusion grievance against NFL owners|
|Lukaku dismisses suggestions he is a flat-track bully|
|Milan will go along with Montella - Fassone backs boss after derby loss|
|Keselowski avoids Talladega carnage, wins on last-lap pass|
|Valencia win incredible nine-goal thriller at Betis|
|Spalletti hails Inter´s derby hero Icardi as complete striker|
|D´Ambrosio was clever - Milan boss Montella angry at Inter´s winning penalty|
|Tom Brady sets record for regular-season wins with controversial victory|
|Mandanda breaks Marseille appearance record|
|Inter hero Icardi ´holding on tight´ to derby hat-trick ball|
|Woods ´making progress´ with latest comeback|
|Pochettino watches you everywhere - Fonte|
|Attack proving best form of defence for Manchester City|
|If they think that, they will be stupid - Guardiola rules out City complacency pre-Napoli|
|Inter 3 AC Milan 2: Brilliant Icardi treble breaks Rossoneri hearts|