The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
|Bautista receives emotional farewell from Blue Jays fans|
|It´s been a wild ride - Schauffele revels in Tour Championship victory|
|Mixed feelings for FedEx Cup champ Thomas, despite collecting $10m bonus|
|Wenger unwilling to sacrifice any potential trophy|
|Kershaw breaks Dodgers record for most seasons with 200 strikeouts|
|NFL players react to Trump´s ´assault´ on freedom of speech|
|Kane worth more than £100m – Noble|
|Klopp: I could write a book on defending|
|Maddon all for self-expression as Cubs manager clarifies Trump comments|
|Stanley Cup champions Penguins will visit White House|
|Kyle Busch advances to NASCAR playoffs with New Hampshire win|
|Ederson wishes Mane well after recovering from horror tackle|
|Schauffele wins Tour Championship, Thomas claims FedEx Cup title|
|Axar returns for final two Australia ODIs|
|Guardiola baulks at Chelsea or United fearing in-form Manchester City|
|Morata shining as Chelsea´s leading man after Juve, Madrid frustration|
|Black Caps omit Neesham and Broom for India ODI series|
|CAF Champions League Review: Etoile Sahel see off Al Ahli Tripoli to reach semi-finals|
|Moeen ´just had a slog´ in breathtaking century|
|Seahawks & Titans sit out national anthem|
|President Trump responds to anthem protests: Locked arms is good, kneeling is not acceptable|
|WATCH: Showboating costly as Bears´ Cooper is denied TD|
|Late Isa snatches Toulon win, Lyon up to third|
|Federer secures Laver Cup victory for Europe|
|Dzumhur sees off Fognini for history-making ATP triumph|
|Brighton winner was a foul, claims frustrated Benitez|
|Bjerregaard claims maiden European Tour title at Portugal Masters|
|Steelers skip anthem, players kneel as NFL shows solidarity amid Trump criticism|
|Brutal Moeen century sets up thumping England win|
|India wrap up series win over Australia and regain top spot in ODI rankings|
|Exeter Chiefs cruise to first place, Northampton Saints hammer London Irish|
|Spalletti: Unbeaten Inter must go beyond their limits|
|Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Newcastle United 0: Hemed the hero in second home win|
|Pedrosa unimpressed with incredible Rossi|
|Better late than never - Matuidi delighted with start to life at Juventus|
|Gojowczyk upsets Paire to win maiden ATP title at Moselle Open|
|Mladenovic´s miserable run continues in Wuhan|
|Sensational Sagan storms to third successive World crown|
|Inter 1 Genoa 0: Late D´Ambrosio header snatches victory for Spalletti´s side|
|Delph a willing deputy for injured City left-back Mendy|
|Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers post messages of ´unity´ as unprecedented NFL Sunday dawns|
|Ravens and Jaguars players kneel, lock arms together for anthem at London game|
|Howedes ruled out for four weeks|
|Milan lacked determination and quality in Samp defeat - Montella|
|Sheffield Wednesday 2 Sheffield United 4: Clarke at the double in derby win|
|Uruguayan Primera Division fixtures cancelled amid referee strike|
|Marquez pulls clear with Aragon win as Rossi claims remarkable fifth|
|Patriots owner Robert Kraft, a Trump ally, ´deeply disappointed´ by president´s tone|
|Billy Vunipola sidelined for four months|
|Mendy hoping to follow successful City season with World Cup triumph|
|Sampdoria 2 AC Milan 0: Duvan Zapata claims family bragging rights|
|Dybala backs dropped Higuain to rediscover clinical touch|
|President Donald Trump continues shots at NFL in Sunday morning tweets|
|WATCH: Injured Rossi survives practice shunt|
|21st century boy - Lyon youngster Geubbels makes Ligue 1 history|
|Jones: England looking for a rookie with X-factor|
|Sensational Kipchoge storms to Berlin victory|
|Napoli fear more knee surgery for Milik|
|Spalletti promises reaction from smarting Inter|
|Beale eyes morale-boosting Bloemfontein win|
|Hughie Fury would wipe the floor with Anthony Joshua, says promoter|
|Montella backs ´fired up´ AC Milan to ´raise the bar´|
|French Open champion Ostapenko seals second career title in Seoul|
|Meunier: PSG don´t have Neymar dependency|
|Brewers claim walk-off win over Cubs|
|Pogba could have surgery on hamstring injury – surgeon|
|Wozniacki ends 2017 drought with Tokyo title|
|MLS Review: Shield-chasing Toronto beaten again, Union extinguish Fire|
|Casey motivated by near-misses in pursuit of glory|
|Kisner takes helicopter from East Lake to Georgia game|