The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
|Giampaolo promises more from ´extraordinary´ Sampdoria|
|Dimitrov overcomes gutsy Goffin to win ATP Finals|
|Memorable Ashes Moments: Australia skittled for 98 at MCG|
|NFL extends deal to play in Mexico through 2021|
|Record-breaking Valencia tee up blockbuster Barcelona clash|
|Poor West Ham performance at Watford was to be expected - Moyes|
|We will see what happens in the future - Silva non-committal on Everton rumours|
|Stones can bounce back stronger - Kompany|
|Racing climb above Toulon in thriller|
|Football needs to do more to combat racism - Boateng|
|Watford 2 West Ham 0: Misery for Moyes on Hammers bow|
|Unlucky 13: Benevento suffer record-breaking defeat|
|Juventus lost composure amid Sampdoria onslaught - Allegri|
|Exeter capitalise on Saracens defeat to top Premiership|
|Race to Dubai winner Fleetwood hails ´biggest day of my career´|
|Dutch Grand Prix a ´realistic´ prospect from 2020|
|Sampdoria 3 Juventus 2: Champions slip further off the pace after thriller|
|Coleman confirmed as Sunderland boss|
|I was just injured - Belgium´s Nainggolan blasts ´stupid´ claims of feigned ailment|
|Leeds United 2 Middlesbrough 1: Losing streak snapped to ease pressure on Christiansen|
|Ioane and Romano to miss All Blacks´ Wales clash|
|One punch only! Tete retains world title with 11-second knockout|
|Hughes backs Giggs for Wales job|
|Bennett: Social media clip prompted Brown withdrawal|
|Memorable Ashes Moments: Anderson and Panesar defy Australia in Cardiff|
|Madrid confirm Ramos´ broken nose after derby clash|
|Kane wants to retire with Tottenham|
|Mourinho: Man United lacked balance with attacking line-up|
|Fleetwood wins Race to Dubai after Rose wilts, Rahm claims tournament win|
|Pastore not considering PSG exit to help World Cup chances|
|Wenger, Ozil & Sanchez uncertainty affecting Arsenal, says Seaman|
|Dhawan, Rahul lead India revival in Kolkata|
|Silva not surprised by Chelsea, Spurs interest in Richarlison|
|Ancelotti, Conte, Allegri on shortlist to replace Ventura|
|Bencic doubles up with Taipei title|
|Perth Glory 0 Melbourne Victory 2: Visitors claim first A-League win of season|
|Bayliss calls for A-team matches on Ashes tours|
|Smith will bowl in the Ashes, says Lehmann|
|Marcelo unaware of Ramos-Ronaldo rift at Real Madrid|
|England book Tonga semi with PNG win|
|Celtics win 15th straight, 76ers in collapse against Warriors|
|Lehmann tells Australia: Get behind the Ashes team|
|Goffin revels in career-best win after upstaging Federer|
|Neymar will take PSG´s next penalty - Cavani|
|Ranieri would consider coaching Italy|
|It´s been an amazing year - Federer signs off for 2017 after London exit|
|Postecoglou set for decision on Socceroos future|
|Celtics coach Stevens wants more despite 14-game streak|
|Kerr: What Embiid did against the Lakers was terrifying|
|Cook extends lead at RSM Classic|
|Frampton beats Garcia by unanimous decision in front of Canelo|
|Championship Review: Millwall deny sloppy Sunderland, Wolves back on top|
|Simeone rallies around under-fire Griezmann|
|Hogg and Barclay ´gutted´ to let All Blacks escape|
|It´s a growth process - Montella optimistic despite Napoli loss|
|Spalletti happy at Inter, tips Ancelotti for Italy job|
|Sarri defends sacked Ventura over Insigne´s Italy snub|
|Los Blank-os! Misfiring Real Madrid break new ground under Zidane|
|Zidane upbeat despite derby stalemate|
|Zidane unsure on Ramos absence with suspected broken nose|
|Mind the gap! Real Madrid must make history to retain LaLiga title|
|Dimitrov denies Sock to book Goffin showdown|
|Springboks gain measure of revenge over 2023 RWC hosts France|
|Alonso fuels Le Mans talk with WEC rookie test|
|Napoli 2 AC Milan 1: Insigne stars after Italy snub as leaders move four points clear|
|Atletico Madrid 0 Real Madrid 0: Defences dominate in historic derby|
|Wasps sting Falcons, Warriors off the mark|
|Montpellier take charge of Top 14 as Lyon slip up|
|Pjaca scores winner for Juventus Primavera on return from injury|
|Jones bristles at suggestion England ´got lucky´|