The Miami Dolphins are dealing with multiple issues and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith is not happy with some team owners.
Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said his sarcasm backfired and Tennessee Titans coach Mike Mularkey says to trust his word at face value.
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could be doubting himself and the Detroit Lions are playing coy with Matthew Stafford's injury.
Here's the latest edition of "He said what?!"
– Smith on NFL teams mandating that players stand for the national anthem: "No player is disrespecting our country or our flag... As thousands have shown in the past, it takes bravery and courage to speak and confront these issues as our players have, especially when it is unpopular with some. There is room for management to do the same and maybe then players do not have to risk the taunts and threats alone. This is their opportunity to lead as well and will be a true test to their motto that 'Football is Family.'"
– Mularkey on an NFL Network report that Marcus Mariota will miss another two weeks: "You can listen to NFL Network or you can listen to me. When I say day-to-day, I tell you like it is... I feel better about that one than this one. I held out hope, but I feel better about that one."
– Newton on learning from his "funny" comment toward a female reporter: "My sarcasm trying to give someone a compliment turned in ways I never would have imagined."
– New York Jets quarterback Josh McCown on winning a game in Cleveland: "It took me three years and two teams, but I got me a win at FirstEnergy."
– Dolphins coach Adam Gase on fans wanting Matt Moore instead of Jay Cutler at quarterback: "I’ll make the decision on the quarterback. We’re not going to take a public poll."
– Gase on learning of video appearing to show former offensive line coach Chris Foerster snorting a white, powdery substance: "I don’t think I can say what my reaction was."
– Roethlisberger on throwing five interceptions: "Maybe I don't have it anymore. I'm not playing well enough."
– Stafford on his reported injuries: "Why would you want another team to know exactly what's going on with you if you don't have to mention it? Obviously the reports come out and all that kind of stuff, and that's about as much information as we're as a team going to get out. There's no real win in telling everybody in America what's going on with ya, right? 'What's the positive' is how I look at it."
– Chicago Bears coach John Fox on the first NFL start for rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky: "He's got what it takes. There's no doubt in my mind. I think our guys feel it. They feel his presence."
|Manchester City can win Champions League, says Napoli boss Sarri|
|Iguodala out of Warriors´ season opener against Rockets|
|LeBron to play in Cavs´ opener against Celtics|
|Sharapova and Kerber suffer first-round exits|
|Berizzo plotting Sevilla´s revenge after Spartak Moscow humiliation|
|Porto boss Conceicao defends Casillas omission|
|We know it´s difficult now, admits Dortmund boss Bosz|
|Krajinovic denies Rublev happy homecoming in Moscow, Ferrer through in Antwerp|
|It´s tough but it´s not over - Van Bronckhorst|
|Monaco know it will be difficult to qualify now, says Sidibe|
|I don´t know what happened - Sarri bemused by Napoli´s slow start|
|We are growing consistently, insists upbeat Zidane|
|Holders Tenerife respond with win over Ludwigsburg|
|I want to stay at Saracens – McCall not interested in Test job|
|Guardiola hails ´perfect´ City after beating ´one of the best´|
|Real Madrid can´t be happy with Tottenham draw, says Navas|
|Klopp heralds counter-pressing as Liverpool run riot against Maribor|
|Liverpool break record in Maribor thrashing|
|City style fades but newfound steel gives Guardiola reason to believe|
|Ederson kept us in it - Walker relieved after City´s second-half wobble|
|Emery backs ´intelligent´ Mbappe to respond|
|APOEL 1 Borussia Dortmund 1: Sokratis header spares Burki´s blushes|
|Feyenoord 1 Shakhtar Donetsk 2: Bernard brace piles pressure on Van Bronckhorst|
|Monaco 1 Besiktas 2: Tosun double pours more misery on Jardim´s men|
|Spartak Moscow 5 Sevilla 1: Clinical second-half show stuns woeful Spaniards|
|RB Leipzig 3 Porto 2: Hosts claim maiden Champions League victory|
|Maribor 0 Liverpool 7: Salah and Firmino doubles inspire rampant Reds|
|Manchester City 2 Napoli 1: Guardiola´s men see off Serie A leaders despite second-half scare|
|Real Madrid 1 Tottenham 1: Ronaldo on target as Lloris heroics earn point|
|´Older, better´ Dzeko feeling good on return to England|
|Kubica has ´another productive day´ of Williams testing|
|Persepolis 2 Al Hilal 2 (2-6 agg): Kharbin at the double as Al Hilal reach final|
|Monaco without Ghezzal and Jovetic for Besiktas clash|
|Hafeez recalled for Sri Lanka T20 series|
|De Bruyne agent eyes Neymar, Mbappe-style wages for Manchester City star|
|Mertesacker not interested in Deeney’s ´cojones´ comment|
|Craig Shakespeare sacked by Leicester City|
|North set to miss Wales´ autumn series with knee injury|
|Messi is the best in the world, says Paulinho|
|Valverde ready for ´emotional´ game against old boys OIympiacos|
|Nadal to miss Swiss Indoors Basel due to knee injury|
|Manchester United expecting a tough game against Benfica, says Ashley Young|
|Froome eyes Paris-Roubaix for Tour preparation|
|Rafinha has ´no interest´ in Barca exit - Mazinho|
|Mourinho would be happy with draw against wounded Benfica|
|O´Neill wary of Eriksen threat after Republic of Ireland draw Denmark in World Cup play-offs|
|NBA Preview: Five key storylines entering the 2017-18 season|
|Warrington pull off Roberts coup|
|F1 Raceweek: Hamilton closing in, new faces and pink tyres|
|Simeone and Atletico wary of Qarabag threat|
|Robben set for landmark as Barca´s Valverde welcomes former side - Champions League in Opta numbers|
|Conte´s harsh words will motivate us, insists Alonso|
|Mourinho: I´m not signing new contract and I´m not joining PSG|
|Bayern´s Martinez out for at least two matches|
|Furyk hints at Woods Ryder Cup vice-captaincy role|
|Besiktas ask fans not to attend Champions League clash with Monaco|
|Porte set for comeback from Tour de France crash|
|Fit-again Morata could face Roma, Conte reveals|
|Juventus must share the blame for defensive woes, says Chiellini|
|Taylor and Jarvis earn Zimbabwe recalls|
|Nice president supports Balotelli for Italy recall|
|Celtic´s Roberts modelled his game on Robben|
|World Cup play-offs: Italy to face Sweden, Republic of Ireland meet Denmark|
|Proteas rest Tahir and Rabada for T20s|
|Juventus are not in any kind of crisis, says Allegri|
|Cobbles, Alpe D´Huez and new climbs await 2018 Tour de France|
|Watford can beat Chelsea claims Cleverley|
|Sigurdsson admits to falling short at Everton|
|Lloris hails ´machine of success´ Cristiano Ronaldo|
|Gunathilaka ban halved to three matches by Sri Lanka|